» Main Menu []

» Welcome Guest []
Welcome, Guest!
Please Login:

Username:

Password:


Need To Register?
Forgotten password?

» IndieSoc Forum []
» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Posts: 161437
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» The (Last) Lost Disco - 5/6/07 (scene66, 28-9-2014 - 13:45)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 9185 Guests
Members: no Members

 

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members


[ Members Visited Today ]


IndieSoc
Advanced Search


Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: new rave?!
slow riot
I should get a life





Posts: 2163
Registered: 4-9-2003
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 30-10-2006 at 16:06 Reply With Quote
new rave?!

i was gonna post this in that DiS thread, but it has gone and now I am left with a question that is bothering me...

what is this new-rave thing? it get's mentioned in the dis article and I have read lots of other articles mentioning or about it.

I don't understand, none of the bands that are supposedly spearheading this new 'movement' have any of the values or ethos that goes with the rave territory. is this all a big joke? or is it just trendy to pretend to like rave nowadays.

from what I can work out it is just the latter. in fact it pretty obviously is, it's just standard money shifting procedure... a movement happens at a unique moment in time where art and technology cross. people start innovating within the shere of the movement. a scene develops. people start listening. happiness ensues. corperations jump on the bandwagon and exploit the scene for profit. original listeners and innovaters leave, they are sick of what has become of the scene. it is left to wilt and die, it ihas become a commercial, a joke.

corperations wait about 15 years, then pluck all the marketable elements from the scenes corpse and repackage it, using their stranglehold on the media to spread the message that 'such and such is back'. people buy it. money is made.

so... new rave eh. what a bloody joke.





myspace

Currently listening to:
View slow riot's Profile Visit slow riot's Homepage View All Posts By slow riot U2U slow riot
clarkogir
Senior Member





Posts: 686
Registered: 8-11-2004
Location: Kingdom Of Fear
Status: Offline

Mood: exam fucked
posted on 30-10-2006 at 16:23 Reply With Quote
its alright, quite cool going to klaxons gig etc with all the glowsticks and that going on, i enjoyed it anyways.

I feel that, on the most part, the bands involved in 'new rave' tend to be of an age whereby things such as raves etc were in the news and media in their youth, and in turn its something thats stuck with them and worked its way into their music. I mean the NME new rave tour pretty much had only one band (shitdisco) who i would say look back to that early 90's rave scene, datarock certainly dont, and the Klaxons as much as they go on about MDMA's and all that are really a guitar band with a dance edge, i havent been dancing in the middle of a field with a glowstick, but i can say that this 'new rave' thing is something ive experienced and thoroughly enjoyed.

[Edited on 30-10-2006 by clarkogir]






Currently listening to:
View clarkogir's Profile E-Mail clarkogir Visit clarkogir's Homepage View All Posts By clarkogir U2U clarkogir
slow riot
I should get a life





Posts: 2163
Registered: 4-9-2003
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 30-10-2006 at 16:41 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by clarkogir

its alright, quite cool going to klaxons gig etc with all the glowsticks and that going on, i enjoyed it anyways.

I feel that, on the most part, the bands involved in 'new rave' tend to be of an age whereby things such as raves etc were in the news and media in their youth, and in turn its something thats stuck with them and worked its way into their music. I mean the NME new rave tour pretty much had only one band (shitdisco) who i would say look back to that early 90's rave scene, datarock certainly dont, and the Klaxons as much as they go on about MDMA's and all that are really a guitar band with a dance edge, i havent been dancing in the middle of a field with a glowstick, but i can say that this 'new rave' thing is something ive experienced and thoroughly enjoyed.

[Edited on 30-10-2006 by clarkogir]


maybe it's just the nme trying to make something out of nothing. and of course they need to cover their bases in case it turns into something bigger, so they can say 'we told you so', and if it dies on it's arse they can be the first to kick it when it's down.

and as much as the idea of glowsticks at an indie gig is laughable, there is no harm in it. and if people are having fun, then people are having fun which is all that matters really.





myspace

Currently listening to:
View slow riot's Profile Visit slow riot's Homepage View All Posts By slow riot U2U slow riot
Dr. Rob
Member





Posts: 261
Registered: 22-3-2005
Status: Offline

Mood: midnitetosix
posted on 30-10-2006 at 16:52 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by slow riot

i was gonna post this in that DiS thread, but it has gone and now I am left with a question that is bothering me...

what is this new-rave thing? it get's mentioned in the dis article and I have read lots of other articles mentioning or about it.

I don't understand, none of the bands that are supposedly spearheading this new 'movement' have any of the values or ethos that goes with the rave territory. is this all a big joke? or is it just trendy to pretend to like rave nowadays.

from what I can work out it is just the latter. in fact it pretty obviously is, it's just standard money shifting procedure... a movement happens at a unique moment in time where art and technology cross. people start innovating within the shere of the movement. a scene develops. people start listening. happiness ensues. corperations jump on the bandwagon and exploit the scene for profit. original listeners and innovaters leave, they are sick of what has become of the scene. it is left to wilt and die, it ihas become a commercial, a joke.

corperations wait about 15 years, then pluck all the marketable elements from the scenes corpse and repackage it, using their stranglehold on the media to spread the message that 'such and such is back'. people buy it. money is made.

so... new rave eh. what a bloody joke.

At least hopefully they've got their filthy mitts off garage rock now.





get drunk and have some fun

last.fm weekly top artists:

Currently listening to:
View Dr. Rob's Profile View All Posts By Dr. Rob U2U Dr. Rob MSN Profile
if_only_ralph_were_real
I should get a life





Posts: 3673
Registered: 6-10-2003
Location: Cambridge
Status: Offline

Mood:
posted on 30-10-2006 at 16:54 Reply With Quote
Guide to how New Rave started

1. A little band called Klaxons made some songs. Those songs sounded a little bit dancy.

2. People went 'ooh'.

3. The NME went 'ooh' and invented a scene. It was called New Rave. It was good. Teenagers bought glow sticks and ecstasy was cool again.

4. The NME labelled other bands 'New Rave'. They weren't.

The End!

I quite like the music, but it isn't really Rave at all.

Currently listening to:
View if_only_ralph_were_real's Profile E-Mail if_only_ralph_were_real View All Posts By if_only_ralph_were_real U2U if_only_ralph_were_real
RadioEd
Moderator





Posts: 3276
Registered: 2-10-2003
Location: away
Status: Offline

Mood: LIVIN'
posted on 30-10-2006 at 17:46 Reply With Quote
it's all about fashion. it'll always be trendy to drop references to niche scenes of old (underground = kudos, remember). nobody targeted by the latest nme fad is old enough to remember the rave explosion the first time round, let alone the second (granted, they came in fairly quick succession!).

this means that, now devoid of any of the original cultural attributes, new values have been created in their image, albeit in a very quaint don't-worry-mum-we'll-be-home-before-midnight kind of way, resulting in a frightful pastiche of the original scene.

any brand, whether it be new-rave, hip-hop, uk garage or whatever is driven by the people who see a quick buck in it these days, and to think anything otherwise is ignorant to the point of idiocy.





http://www.alphalets.com/

Currently listening to:
View RadioEd's Profile E-Mail RadioEd Visit RadioEd's Homepage View All Posts By RadioEd U2U RadioEd RadioEd's Gallery MSN Profile
Maverick
I should get a life





Posts: 4998
Registered: 23-3-2004
Status: Offline

Mood: coke tainted
posted on 30-10-2006 at 18:01 Reply With Quote
just another invented genre. convenient tags sell records. still, we all love a good excuse to get on it!





my teen lover just discovered she's a genius

Currently listening to:
View Maverick's Profile Visit Maverick's Homepage View All Posts By Maverick U2U Maverick
Matt Paradise
Moderator





Posts: 4871
Registered: 17-10-2002
Location: BACK IN DA HOOD
Status: Offline

Mood: Pimpin
posted on 30-10-2006 at 19:08 Reply With Quote
Klaxons came up with the term 'new rave'. Apparently they wanted to create a scene that would be even more short-lived than electroclash, and they fed the NME the standard bullshit it would take for them to market the term. Quite clever really.





I often go to sleep with pyjama bottoms, socks and a t-shirt on. When I awake I am naked. This is a popular phenomenon, known in scientific circles as theft. My family members steal my clothes in the night and sell them down the market. I often walk to work and see kids wearing the clothes that only the night before I was sleeping in. It is a disturbing development.

Currently listening to:
View Matt Paradise's Profile View All Posts By Matt Paradise U2U Matt Paradise
jesus
I should get a life





Posts: 1566
Registered: 11-8-2003
Status: Offline

Mood: uproar
posted on 30-10-2006 at 20:13 Reply With Quote
What happened to that DiS thread?





I would like to see the skyline and city lights of New York or Tokyo and then come back to the green fields we know and do nothing, and sleep, and do that again and again...

Currently listening to:
View jesus's Profile E-Mail jesus View All Posts By jesus U2U jesus
Carl
Senior Member





Posts: 902
Registered: 10-11-2002
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 30-10-2006 at 20:48 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Paradise

Klaxons came up with the term 'new rave'. Apparently they wanted to create a scene that would be even more short-lived than electroclash, and they fed the NME the standard bullshit it would take for them to market the term. Quite clever really.


Good for them! But surely speed garage was even shorter-lived than electroclash. I remember it going on for about 3 months.






Currently listening to:
View Carl's Profile E-Mail Carl View All Posts By Carl U2U Carl
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator





Posts: 8913
Registered: 16-10-2002
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 30-10-2006 at 20:49 Reply With Quote
When will the NME coin a genre that doesn't start with 'new'?






Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
i am sam
I should get a life





Posts: 4427
Registered: 30-10-2002
Location: same as it ever was
Status: Offline

Mood: sam i am
posted on 30-10-2006 at 22:40 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

When will the NME coin a genre that doesn't start with 'new'?


last time they tried that was surely 'sports metal'. melody maker went with 'nu-metal'. we all know who won that one.






Currently listening to:
View i am sam's Profile View All Posts By i am sam U2U i am sam i am sam's Gallery
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator





Posts: 8913
Registered: 16-10-2002
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 30-10-2006 at 23:25 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by i am sam

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

When will the NME coin a genre that doesn't start with 'new'?


last time they tried that was surely 'sports metal'. melody maker went with 'nu-metal'. we all know who won that one.

Well that would be the NME... Melody Maker shut up shop about 6 month after that I think






Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
jazzy
Moderator





Posts: 11180
Registered: 14-11-2002
Status: Offline

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 31-10-2006 at 14:10 Reply With Quote
sports rave. now that's a genre surely waiting to happen...





"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
Vive Le Rock
Senior Member





Posts: 747
Registered: 22-3-2004
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 31-10-2006 at 15:44 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzy

sports rave. now that's a genre surely waiting to happen...


It's only a matter of time before thats said about Datarock, cos they, like, wear tracksuits and stuff. You should save this thread for when the NME invents sports rave and sue the muthas! Or not.





"You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know. During the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out: 'Iraq: incredible weapons ?? incredible weapons.' How do you know that? 'Uh, well ... we looked at the receipts.'"

Currently listening to:
View Vive Le Rock's Profile E-Mail Vive Le Rock Visit Vive Le Rock's Homepage View All Posts By Vive Le Rock U2U Vive Le Rock
thelikelylad
Moderator





Posts: 369
Registered: 9-10-2005
Location: here and there
Status: Offline

Mood: open-minded
posted on 31-10-2006 at 16:09 Reply With Quote
theyve been labelling the knife as 'the dark side of new rave'. the nme that is. but then the article totally contradict itself cos they then went on about they hated the way in which jose gonzales' heartbeats was used for the sony advert.





''bastard banshee,
how thou at me,
the kings and queens of the clubs,
evolved from pubs,
and too much broken heart love
singing of the blues in a locked up bedroom

Currently listening to:
View thelikelylad's Profile E-Mail thelikelylad View All Posts By thelikelylad U2U thelikelylad
zoo
Super Moderator





Posts:
Registered: 1-1-1970
Status: Offline

Mood:
posted on 10-1-2008 at 03:18 Reply With Quote
new rave

new rave never existed..it was a pretending.. it was a boom box..it wasn't relevant. it was. it's not anymore. NEW RAVE R.I.P. thanks god/
Currently listening to:
View 's Profile View All Posts By U2U
fiface
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 9-1-2008
Location: clchester
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 12-1-2008 at 11:44 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by if_only_ralph_were_real

Guide to how New Rave started

1. A little band called Klaxons made some songs. Those songs sounded a little bit dancy.

2. People went 'ooh'.

3. The NME went 'ooh' and invented a scene. It was called New Rave. It was good. Teenagers bought glow sticks and ecstasy was cool again.

4. The NME labelled other bands 'New Rave'. They weren't.

The End!

I quite like the music, but it isn't really Rave at all.


exactly right! it's all nme, they coined th silly term new rave, and it is silly.

Currently listening to:
View fiface's Profile Visit fiface's Homepage View All Posts By fiface U2U fiface
Matt Paradise
Moderator





Posts: 4871
Registered: 17-10-2002
Location: BACK IN DA HOOD
Status: Offline

Mood: Pimpin
posted on 12-1-2008 at 12:09 Reply With Quote
The knife are RUBBISH





I often go to sleep with pyjama bottoms, socks and a t-shirt on. When I awake I am naked. This is a popular phenomenon, known in scientific circles as theft. My family members steal my clothes in the night and sell them down the market. I often walk to work and see kids wearing the clothes that only the night before I was sleeping in. It is a disturbing development.

Currently listening to:
View Matt Paradise's Profile View All Posts By Matt Paradise U2U Matt Paradise
Dunk
President
Moderator





Posts: 177
Registered: 28-3-2006
Status: Offline

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 12-1-2008 at 12:28 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Paradise

The knife are RUBBISH


Wash your mouth out!!!

Currently listening to:
View Dunk's Profile View All Posts By Dunk U2U Dunk Dunk's Gallery





Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.3410420 seconds, 55 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 3437 access attempts in the last 7 days.